For those of us going to the local pool for water exercise, perfect! The motivation to get in the water to cool off will be strong during this coming week.
Remember, salads and fruit are cool foods to serve during summer heat. I may freeze watermelon chunks for an icy treat. [See recipe below]
Keep up the step-by-step work, everyone. And again, our commitment benefits the women in Afghanistan in the Through the Garden Gate project with MEDA. Women are learning to read, feeding their families better, providing income, and enjoying new community support within their cultural limits with our help. That is exciting!
Here is a recipe to bring some frosty freshness to the days ahead:
adapted from Gourmet
1 large watermelon
lime salt (recipe below)
- Cut the watermelon into cubes.
- Puree the watermelon and lime juice in a blender or food processor.
- Place in freezer until solid.
- Rub lime juice around the rims of the serving glasses or bowls.
- Press the rims into the lime salt.
- Fill with scoops the frozen watermelon mixture.
- Garnish with a lime slice
1/4 c salt
1 tsp dried lime zest
- Combine by grinding together with a mortar and pestle or spin together in a food processor.